Jim McLaughlin is one of the country’s most experienced facilitators. He combines his facilitation practice with Directorships – in manufacturing and in software. He is thus highly practical and outcomes-focused with a wide and deep level of practical business experience.
He has worked with groups from all walks of life and all professions (and none). He has worked with Engineers, Teachers, Scientists, MPs, Accountants, Caretakers, Doctors, Nurses, Machinists, Architects, Pilots, Web Developers and many more professions.
Jim started running groups 25 years ago. In that time, he has run the following:
- Team and Project Away Days
- Staff Conferences (with 500 + participants)
- Board and Senior Management Strategy Events
- Merger and post-merger negotiations
- De-merger negotiations
- Action Learning Groups
- Collaboration networks
- Board Effectiveness evaluations
- Inter-departmental process design workshops
- After Action Review processes
- Project Evaluations
- Contingency and planning scenario development events
- Software specification events
- Group Coaching
- Customer Innovation processes
- Whole-company strategic planning
- Whole-system planning processes
His sector experience includes: Manufacturing, Telecoms, Information Technologies, Financial Services, Professional services, Government, Health, Local Government, Government Agency, Higher Education.
Facilitation Style and Approach
Personable, thoroughly researched, planned, spontaneous (where useful), creative. “Jim asks the BEST questions”. Sometimes he creates spaces where deep and meaningful conversations are had. Other times, he create spaces and processes for complex problems to be worked on with simplicity and ease. At other times, he creates a methodology to enable numerous sub-teams to co-create. When he needs to be challenging, he is so dimplomatically, creatively and productively. When he needs to be supportive, he gives it whole-heartedly.
Jim experience is supplemented by the following formal training:
- Ashridge Facilitation Programme
- Co-active Group Coaching
- Neuro-Linguistic Programming (at Practitioner and Master Practitioner level)
- More to Life and Insight Personal Development Training
Academic & Professional Qualifications
Jim holds a degree in English Literature and Drama from The University of Sheffield, and a Diploma in Marketing from the Chartered Institute of Marketing.